WHY SHOULD I TELL OTHERS ABOUT JESUS?
If God is omniscient (all knowing) and knows who will make it to Heaven and who wouldn’t, then why should we share Jesus with families, friends and love ones? This is a very important question.
Below are at least 5 reasons why every Christian should tell others about the love of God which is manifested in the person of Jesus Christ.
1) The Great Commission (Mark 16:15-20): we evangelise because Jesus commanded us to. People who obey the Lord’s commandments become commandants in the Kingdom of God. They are always in command of the affairs of life.
In what is commonly referred to as the Great Commission, Jesus gave a commandment for all His followers to preach the gospel everywhere they find themselves whether it be at schools, workplaces, youth clubs, sports club …practically anywhere and everywhere we find ourselves. Accordingly, evangelism is NOT the job of the evangelism team or a particular group of people in the church. It is the job of every single believer in the body of Christ (Mark 16:15).
2) Everybody is a Soul winner– Linked to the Great Commission is the idea that every Christian is a soul winner. The word Christ-ian means Christ-like. We should aim to be like Jesus and operate like Jesus and indeed that is what Jesus expects of us (John 14:12). He wants us to do exactly what He did when He was on earth 2000 years ago. Jesus was a soul winner and preached about the arrival of the kingdom of God (Matthew 4:17,23;John 3:1-3). As followers of Christ, we too are to tell others about the gospel of Jesus’ Kingdom just like Jesus Himself did. This can only happen when we learn these truths and walk in them. Jesus wants to reach out to a dying world through YOU. Therefore, you have no excuse to deny Jesus the chance to use you to rescue eternally perishing souls. Jesus’ last words before departing the earth was to witness about the gospel of the kingdom and as believers it is our responsibility to carry out these important instructions (Acts 1:8).
3) Jesus needs your body– Jesus died and went to heaven and He needs bodies to operate in today in the form of the Holy Spirit. Jesus needs your body to operate in just like 2000 years ago (John 1:14, Luke 2:1-4,52). As a matter of fact, we are the body (Hands, feet, mouth, knees etc.) of Christ (Ephesians 5:30, Colossians 1:27; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; Galatians 2:20; Romans 5:10). If we do not allow Jesus to use us to reach out to a dying world, people who are perishing to eternal damnation; if we are too busy to tell others about Jesus, He has no other channel to minister through and millions of unbelievers may perish to hell.
4) Kingdom Keys– Some people have erroneously believed that God is solely responsible for who makes it to heaven because He is omniscient. For this reason, He already knows who’ll make it to Heaven and who won’t. But the truth is that Christians are part of the people who decide who makes it into heaven.
They keys of the kingdom of heaven have been given to us believers (Matthew 16:18). Binding and loosing represents ‘opening and closing’; ‘allowing and not allowing’ or ‘permitting and not permitting’ access into the Kingdom of God. As believers when we don’t tell others about Jesus, we are shutting them out of the kingdom of God and simultaneously into eternal damnation. Imagine your best friend, uncle, and aunty and love ones going to hell because you shut them out of the kingdom of heaven by not telling them about Jesus. True love will never let others suffer such a dreadful eternal fate. How can you claim to love your friends and keep silent for them to end up in hell? That is not true love.
Jesus wants to tell the Good News to the poor, He wants to announce forgiveness to the prisoners of sin and to restore sight to the blind, to forgive those who have been shattered by sin and to announce the year of the Lord’s favour (Luke 4:18). Now all these redemption and restoration acts that Jesus wants to do for unsaved people can only be done today through YOU, when you go out and proclaim Christ to others. Yes! Jesus wants to do it through YOU. He needs your body today and now!
5) Kingdom first lifestyle– Jesus also commands all believers to seek the advancement of His kingdom first and everything that we are chasing after in this world will be added unto us (Matthew 6:33). Obeying this commandment commits God to fulfill the promise in this verse in your life and it is also a proof of your love towards Him (John 15:10).
What other reasons can you think of? Please comment below.